Thursday, November 24, 2011

"I went down to buy a turkey tree, and all they have are things for Christmas." - Sally Brown

Another Thanksgiving, come and (almost) gone. It was a good one this year.

Finally, after weeks - months, really - of going, going, going nonstop, I finally had the chance to sit down, chill out, and think about how lucky I really am.

Truthfully, I have a lot to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for my mom and dad, who bend over backwards with a smile to make sure my brother and I are happy and healthy. Speaking of the devil, I'm thankful for my brother, who is wise beyond his years, hilarious, and way cooler than me. I'm thankful for my extended family, my ever-present cheer squad and support network. (A special shout-out to my cousin Sam, who, well, wanted a shout-out. Hey, Sam!)

I'm thankful for my friends, my second family. They teach me something new every day, and they make me strive to be a better person. Whether we've been buds since Little Church School or since last month, my friends are more often than not my light, joy, and tether to sanity, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

I'm thankful for my school and what I've learned there. Truly, O'Hara has given me lessons, challenges, relationships, ideas, and opportunities that have changed me for the better. Whether it's Kairos leadership, being in the shows (more on that tomorrow), or just learning to always walk on the right side of the hallway, I've gained indispensable knowledge and experience at COHS.

I'm thankful for a little time off. Having some time when I don't have to do anything - when there's no agenda or schedule - is a much-needed break. Today, I sat down and actually read a book that wasn't school-required for more than five minutes. It was amazing.

Well, with the mushy stuff out of the way, a few odds and ends: I have been accepted to Temple Honors! Wahoo! Now I have about a month of jittery waiting for more acceptances (well, hopefully they're acceptances). 

Footloose opens tomorrow night at O'Hara. If you want a good time, you'd do well to show up.

Back to Thanksgiving, kind of. It's officially the start of the Christmas season, hooray! I can't wait to listen to/sing Christmas music, decorate, watch Christmas Vacation, light candles, et cetera. After all, it is officially The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

Welp, this has been a doozy of a post. I hope you've all had a fantastic Thanksgiving.


"But Thanksgiving is more than eating, Chuck. You heard what Linus was saying out there. Those early Pilgrims were thankful for what had happened to them, and we should be thankful, too. We should just be thankful for being together. I think that's what they mean by 'Thanksgiving,' Charlie Brown." 
- Marcie, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment