Friday, December 23, 2011

"Be Awesome."

A lot of what I've posted so far this year has been joyful, happy, wonderful news. Like I've said before, I'm a pretty lucky person. Today, not so much.

Today wasn't such a great day for me. A few weeks ago, I learned that Mr. Cook, one of the single most influential people in my life and one of the best teachers I have, is leaving O'Hara to pursue a new opportunity. Today was his last day, and it was a hard one.

Mr. Cook - commonly known by students as just "Cook" - and I have been pals since about Thanksgiving of my freshman year. He moderated the TV studio, and I had just been accepted as a crew member. The studio was my first home at O'Hara, and it continues to be the place where I feel most comfortable and confident, due in no small part to Cook. Being in his Media Production class made me think about a lot of things in a different way. Leading a Kairos retreat with him (Hot Magneta for life!) changed me profoundly for the better.

Cook has almost a cult following among O'Hara students - especially his devoted Frisbee players, TV crew members, and Kairos charges - for good reason. He's just the kind of teacher - no, the kind of guy - who makes people want to be the absolute best people they can be. He doesn't just teach, direct, and coach. He inspires. We get along like a house on fire, so it's hard for me to face the idea that I'm not going to see him each morning, in the studio and in class, and each afternoon, when I'd hang out in his classroom during my free period.

This morning, Cook left us with some parting words, a passage from 1 Thessalonians: "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Jesus Christ." Right now, it's hard to give thanks about this - one of the most important people in my life, moving on. But Cook also told us to "be awesome." So I'm going to try to be awesome and carry on, never forgetting everything he taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment