Friday, December 30, 2011

How I Became a Registered Voter

This will all make sense, I swear.

So, I've trick-or-treated every year since I was a tiny tot. That includes this year. No Halloween parties for me, just trick-or-treating with two of my friends. For me, it's less about the candy and more about how much fun it is to wander the neighborhood in a costume. (I dressed up as Elwood Blues, for the record.)

I knocked on the door of a house down the street and it was answered by my neighbor - but not the neighbor that lived in the house. It was answered by one Mr. Tom McFadden, Esq., who also lives on my
street. Mr. McFadden is a very nice man, a lawyer, and an Upper Providence Township councilman.

Needless to say, I was confused.

Mr. McFadden squinted and said, "You're a McAlee, aren't you?"

I nodded.

"Are you 18 yet?" he asked.

"No, sir. I will be in December," I replied.

He told me to hold on for a moment and walked out to his car. After fishing around for a minute or so, he returned with three voter registration forms - one for me, and one for each of my friends.

"There you go!" he said, proudly. "When you turn 18, fill this out and mail it to the courthouse."

I thanked him, and we moved onto the next house.

Back to the present: Today, my parents dragged took my brother and me to the courthouse to renew our passports, and my mom remembered that I could finally file that voter registration form, at, well, the Office of Voter Registration. Which I did.

And that's how I became a registered voter.

No comments:

Post a Comment